Friday, May 21, 2010

Is Print Dead?

I love my Kindle, buy the occasional e-book, but also enjoy the thousands of books available on Gutenberg.com. (the "mobi" format works with Kindle)

Even as a kid, I spent most of my allowance and lawn-mowing money on books, and now that I'm older, the ability to increase the size of the print and not have to carry 3 inch thick large-print books (when available) is very convenient.  As is the ability to just highlight a word and see the dictionary definition or flip over to the basic browser and look something up on wikipedia or online - looking forward to being able to highlight a passage and post to Twitter or Facebook.

I have donated thousands and thousands of books to libraries and church rummage sales over the years when my bookshelves threatened to collapse - now I can carry a thousand or so with me and store more books on a hard drive than the library can hold.

And, as my eyes continue too age, the Kindle works well with Audible.com's audiobooks or, for most of the books, I can simply turn on txt2speech and rest my eyes.

I'm sure there will always be tree-ware collectors, I treasure my tree-ware copies of a few books I read almost 40 years ago in Junior High that I bought from used book dealers, but as the readers become more affordable and widely available, tree-ware will become a niche market as I read on my Kindle and look for some book scented potpourri.

No comments:

Post a Comment