Thursday, March 25, 2010

Defaming Islam

Christ is not well served by minimizing the failures of Christianity nor by exaggerating the failures of others.

I have studied the scriptures of many religions, had the good fortune during my time in the military to live among Muslims ( I spent over two years traveling around Turkey on the weekends (with a side trip to Syria) while stationed there.  Before I got married, I considered those two years the best of my life.) and, while I disagree with many Islamic doctrines, I found Muslims to be little different than anyone else.  In general, they want to work at a job that allows them to support a family with maybe a little extra to have some nice things.  They want to love and be loved, to have children, and a place to call, "home."  They want to serve God as best as they know how.  As do we.

Many Muslims do wish the American government would stay out of their countries' affairs and stop helping brutal dictators oppress them so that American corporations can rob them of their wealth but, can we really blame them?

Many Christians on the Right like to take passages from the Quran out of context to suggest Islam is inherently a violent religion.  I have read the Quran, it's a lot less violent than many verses from the Old Testament.  In fact, a lot of the Quran sounds familiar to anyone who has read Isaiah, Jeremiah and some of the other prophetic books of the Bible.

I used to be a salesman, and as any decent salesman knows, you never knock your competitor, it just gives them free advertising.  When Christian defame Islam by "bearing false witness," they not only make people curious about Islam, they sin against God's Ninth Commandment.

No comments:

Post a Comment